Welcome to the homepage of the American Judges Association. We are the only judicial organization that represents Judges from both Canada and the United States. We are the largest association of judges in the world and as such we believe we are the voice of the judiciary. As that voice we are dedicated to improving the systems of justice in North America. We hope you will take a moment to read the white papers the Association has published and maybe while looking at this website check out our blog. You might also want to look at our conferences and the educational opportunities they offer. The Association is a leader in advancing the important concept of procedural fairness, something you can also learn about here on our website. We are confident that once you become more familiar with us will begin to see importance of joining the Association. Thank you very much for coming to our webpage and please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I look forward to serving you as a judge in the next year. Brian
AJA Past President Steve Leben of the Kansas Court of Appeals has been selected as the recipient of the 2014 William H. Rehnquist Award of Judicial Excellence. Judge Leben served as AJA President from 2006-2007 and is being honored for his extensive work in the area of procedural fairness. Complete information is available here. Congratulations Judge Leben!
A free, online, comprehensive Domestic Violence educational resource for judges.
This course contains interactive modules on key topics which will allow judges to learn at their own pace from leading national experts.
See it now »
- AJA is pleased to announce the following recipients of its 2014 awards:
Chief Justice Richard W. Holmes Award of Merit, given to a judge for outstanding contributions to the Judiciary - Hon Kevin S. Burke, Hennepin County District Court (Minnesota)
Judge William H. Burnett Award, given to an AJA member for outstanding service to the Association - Hon. Toni Manning Higginbotham, Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Judge Bob Jones Memorial Award, given to recognize significant contributions to Judicial Education by a member of AJA - Hon. Roxanne Song Ong, Phoenix Municipal Court
Judge Libby Hines Domestic Violence Award, given to a judge for significant contributions for an effective judicial response to domestic violence - Hon. Peter C. MacDonald, District Judge (retired), Commonwealth of Kentucky
American Gavel Award for Distinguished Reporting about the
Judiciary - Gloria Borger, CNN
- AJA spent time at its 2014 midyear meeting discussing strategic planning. The report developed from that discussion is available here.
Extra, Extra read all about it...AJA Past President, Judge Kevin Burke (MN), again writes thoughtfully and insightfully, this time about judges and technology.
AJA Presents 2013 American Gavel Award
The American Judges Association presented its fourth American Gavel Award for National Distinguished Reporting about the Judiciary to Andrew Cohen last week during the annual conference. (More)
- The Sedona Conference® announces new publication
The Sedona Conference® has just released its latest publication, The Sedona Conference® Cooperation Proclamation: Resources for the Judiciary. The Resources are intended to assist state and federal judges with the management of electronically stored information ("ESI") in civil discovery and at trial, focusing on the "stages of litigation from a judge's perspective," beginning with the preservation of ESI and proceeding through the initial case management order, the resolution of discovery disputes, trial issues, and post-judgment awards of ESI-related costs. (More.)
- The American judges Association is proud to announce its partnership with the National Association of Women Judges' Informed Voter-Fair Judges initiative. Please go to the following link (visit our website) for more information about this important effort by judges to better inform citizens about the importance of having fair and impartial courts to fulfilling the aspirations of citizens in a democracy and guaranteeing opportunities to live prosperous, productive, complete and fulfilling lives.
- New Center on Access to Justice for All
Technical assistance available through new Center on Court Access to Justice for All. The National Center for State Courts has launched a new Web site to assist courts in their efforts to expand access to justice. For more information, see this announcement or visit the Access Center at www.ncsc.org/atj.
- AJA is pleased to announce a new affinity credit card program. You can support AJA while earning rewards for yourself by applying for and using a custom Visa® Platinum Card. We encourage you to go to this link - http://www.cardpartner.com/affinity/app/aja - to learn more and to apply for your new card.
- AJA announces completion of an updated booklet for judges on domestic violence - Domestic Violence and the Courtroom, Knowing the Issues... Understanding the Victim.
2014 Annual Conference
Las Vegas, Nevada